Read Daily

Get in touch with world!

Woman left in tears after accidentally ordering £1,890 drink on New Year’s

A woman was left horrified after she accidentally ordered – and drank – a cocktail that cost just shy of two grand.

Lynsey was staying in a swanky five star hotel in London to celebrate the New Year with her husband when she decided to splash out on a cocktail from the bar, which she thought cost £18.90.

You can see how it all quickly went wrong here:

Woman orders super expensive cocktail by mistake
Credit: TikTok/@lynsey_36
@lynsey_36 Replying to @Caroline💕 ♬ original sound – Lynsey

After finishing her cocktail, which she didn’t even particularly enjoy, Lynsey was handed the bill – and was shocked to discover it was for £2,000.

Yes – two thousand British pounds. Nightmare, eh?

In a clip shared on TikTok, Lynsey – who posts under the name @lynsey_36 – explained that she hadn’t read the menu correctly and the drink she had thought was £18.90 was actually £1,890. Awkward.

Lynsey said that after her mistake was uncovered her other-half was, somewhat understandably, ‘furious’.

In the clip on TikTok, she explained: “So when I discovered the cocktail I had ordered was £2,000, I showed my husband the receipt and he was furious at me.

Lynsey said she thought the drink was less than £20. Credit: TikTok/@lynsey_36
Lynsey said she thought the drink was less than £20. Credit: TikTok/@lynsey_36

“So he left the bar. Left me on my own to deal with it. And I said to the young guy behind the bar, ‘look I’m so sorry, I had no idea it was £1,890.”

Lynsey then explained that the way the price was set on the menu had a space – meaning it was presented: 18 90 – leaving her to believe it was £18.90, but she admits that upon closer inspection the other prices were presented with the full stop in the middle and accepts it was ‘definitely [her] mistake’.

Panic began to set in and Lynsey explained to the bartender she couldn’t possibly fork over two grand for a couple of drinks, at which point the manager came over to see what the issue was.

Lynsey says despite it being her mistake the manager was ‘so discreet and so wonderful’ and eventually reassured her that he would ‘sort it out’ telling her to go to her room and enjoy the rest of her stay.

The manager said the bartender had been sent for retraining. Credit: TikTok/@lynsey_36
The manager said the bartender had been sent for retraining. Credit: TikTok/@lynsey_36

But that’s easier said than done when you’ve got a potential £2,000 bill hanging over your head and Lynsey says the next four days were pretty tense with her doing everything she could to avoid the bar.

Eventually Lynsey ended up returning to the bar where she saw the manager again and was greeted with open arms, much to her relief – but that relief was short lived as when she asked what happened to the bartender she was told he’d been sacked.

Lynsey was horrified and explained: “So I burst into tears. I was so terribly, terribly upset. I said, ‘look it’s not worth the guy’s job. I will pay the £2,000. I’m so, so, so sorry. It wasn’t his fault.’”

Fortunately, it turned out to be a joke, with the manager confirming no one had lost their job but the bartender in question had been sent for retraining as this wasn’t the first time it happened and that he should have made sure customers knew just how much the drink cost before he made it.

So there you go – always make sure you check the prices properly before ordering, eh?

Make sure to SHARE this article on Facebook with your best friends!